This site is privately owned and is neither affiliated with, nor endorsed by, nor operated by any government agency. Clerk of Court >

Changing your name in Texas

Though getting married will change your name on the marriage certificate, your legal name is still the same. In order to legally change your name in the state of Texas you must do the following:

1: Get started with online marriage license services.

Online application assistance can simplify and streamline the process for many Texas marriage-related services, including: information on obtaining a new marriage license, reasons for requesting a marriage record, as well as changing your name after marriage. In addition to the free forms and general instructions available from your Clerk of Court, you will receive a comprehensive checklist and forms packet specific to your needs, fast answers to tough questions and prompt service from a friendly staff.

2: Go to a Clerk of Court office in person

If you prefer to access additional marriage licenses and marriage records, visit a state-specific online resource for extra support regarding all your marriage licensing needs.

  1. File an Original Petition for Change of Name. This should be done with the Clerk of Court in the county where the person filing for the name change (“petitioner”) resides.
  2. The Petition to change the name of an adult must also contain the following information:

    • Petitioner's sex, race, date of birth and social security number
    • Current name and place of residence of the petitioner
    • Full new name requested for the petitioner
    • Reason the change in name is requested
    • Whether the petitioner has been the subject of a final felony conviction
    • Whether the petitioner is subject to register as a sex offender under the requirements of Chapter 62, Code of Criminal Procedure
    • Driver's license number for any driver's license issued in the 10 years preceding the date of the petition

    DO NOT sign the petition unless you are in the presence of an official witness such as the

    Clerk of Court or a notary.

  3. Schedule an appointment with your local Clerk of Court in order to file an Order of Name Change. This order will need to have the same information as above, plus also include a statement regarding the benefit or interest in changing your name. If your name change is due to marriage, declare this on your statement along with the date of the wedding and a copy of your marriage certificate.
  4. Visit your local Sherriff's office or Clerk of Court in order to have your fingerprints taken. This is necessary to legally change your name in the state of Texas.
  5. After the Order of Name Change has been signed and filed, you must remember to contact organizations such as the Social Security Agency, Department of Motor Vehicles, your bank, employer, credit cards, insurance provider(s), and more to update them on this change of information. The sooner you are able to alert these groups the better. Failing to do so may cause payment or scheduling issues with these and other institutions.

Read the Law

Texas name change laws can be found in sections 45.101 to 45.106 of the Texas Family Code.

You can find the law in a law library or online at